Monday, November 21, 2016


I attended a wedding over the weekend. The family is highly educated, and hence settled only for about half-a-crore rupees in dowry. Or so I hear. The figure is subject to revision post-demonetization, and post-marriage when reality sinks. The family is a bunch of patriotic Indians settled abroad for more than 30 years, and support the Indian Government’s move from there. In India, they vouch for Make in India from their lavish German limo, even as Indians can't think beyond NaMo. In fact, I heard one of them speaking about their laziness + reluctance to cast a vote during an Indian election, as opposed to celebrating maiden voting rights in America after having attained the citizenship of that country. Anyway, the family by their own admission, decided to keep the marriage celebrations very simple: the ground resembled Wankhede, catering was Taj, lights and decoration were grand, switches were Legrand, the jewels shone bright, and everyone, including me, relished every meal to heart’s delight. Next day, I attained nirvana. As opposed to Buddha who meditated under a Bodhi tree, I attained enlightenment while waiting under the sole banyan tree that was 2 km away from the nearest ATM. He got Buddhism. I got buddhi. What buddhi? Arre bewakoof, banyan ho ya Bodhi, paise kahin jhaad pe ugte hain? Huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment